Sunday, March 07, 2010

Double Win

Biked out to Bull Island.
Conversation ensued with Guss.
Me: What time will win it?
Guss: Aah about 60, probably sub 60. But sure you'll decide yourself
Me: Sub 55 possible?
Guss: 57 is doable.
Me: Grand job. Chat to you later.

26 minutes 20 seconds later I float through the spectator control. Happily orienteering away, really enjoying been back on a map....

The first half of the course I set off at a comfortable pace and was orienteering along nicely. I had a wee slip on number 2 and got very nervous, not been sure where I was on the map, I recovered and got under way again. Splashed through the marsh going to 6 and hit the wrong side of the hill. Recovered going to 7 but slipped up number 8 is well. After that I was clean through to the spectator control.

On the flip side of the map I picked up the pace slightly catching Don, Greg and Declan. Declan hung on and we tipped along at a good pace. By 23 I had a big gap on Declan as he was nervous about 22 and stopped to double checked the control code.
Clean and fast I missed 26, over shooting and letting Declan back into the game. He led 27 but I fought back to take 28. It was game on. We were looking at each other as we headed for the last, unluckly we both missed it. Declan veired left but I saw the control, i took off and got to the last before him. It was good to be put under pressure at the end of a race.

0:57:56

Looks like Guss was right :) 5min clear of field

No comments:

Post a Comment