Monday, April 12, 2010

JK 2010

To sum up the JK in a few words....

CNOC came, CNOC saw, CNOC conquered!

Once again I left for England at some time before 7, actually we were almost at the ferry by 7, at which point they decide to text saying its delayed until 12! Typical.
A nice fry, followed by a nice coffee and another one and we were on route across the sea. Then numerous hours in the car and we arrived at the CNOC / IJS stronghold. So much so that the CorkO guys legged it up the coast to prepare for the onslaught that CNOC was about to unleash.

Race One was the Sprint at Bicton College. I somehow ended up in the elite seeded start at the end, 10th last start inbetween Hector Haines (apparently he's a W21) and ex world champion GG! Is was shaping up to be an epic!

Laced up and ready to lock and load I dumped my kit with Hugh and entered the start box. I was pumped but focused. -3... staying calm, -2... checking out the map, I feel confident, completely focused on myself and orienteering, almost reaching the perfect balance in my mind when I hear a Colllloooommmm! Colm!! I turn around and see my mother with a concerned face wondering where I dumped my kit (she got a slagging afterwards).
Refocusing, into the -1 and I'm bouncing. look at the clock..... the trible beep and I'm gone, blitzing down the hill to the first, it was a mudfeast! I was orienteering well, but I hesisated at control 5. Then slugging it across a "field" and into the buildings. I was running well and Hector had only gained 9 seconds on me. I was pretty much on fire! Then a misread in the map cost me time. I took long routes from 11-12 and 12-13 dropping serious time - going by the splits if I didn't cack them up I may have beaten Hector and would have be 1-3sec down on Shane Lynch. These things happen.
The rest of the race I was clean and hammering it hard. Had an epic sprint in, keeping ahead of Hector coming down the hill and taking off coming into the finish - in the process I had the fastest run in and beat Nick by 1 second. Every cloud has a silver lining!

No comments:

Post a Comment