Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chasing the O'Boyle


Its that time of year again. Sleep deprevation training aka exams! Although sleep deprevation training is good for the likes of the rogaine. Its not so good for the Leisnter League races. Up half the night, then up at 0600 to be into college for 8. It ain't fun I tell ya.

My 3rd race of the Leinster League was to be Brockage Mountain. As I wasn't the freshest I decided I'd use my head and see where that got me this week. As I floored it off the last day and suffered big time for my efforts I decicided to take it nice and handy and not do anything too crazy.

I warmed up with fellow club mates Niall and Seamus. The race had the feeling that it would be brutally fast. I began to get excited.

Down the hill to Esso. Big crowd at the start, or perhaps it seemed more than usual due to the small lane. We took off with Eoin Keith setting the pace, I sat in behind him and waited. This was the big plan, don't lead the race at all. Play it stupidly safe. We tip on up the road. Around the barrier and into the forest. I glance around, see who's up in the mix. We're still pretty bunched. As I look back, Barry ups the pace and legs it off closely followed by Kevin along the fire road. I let them go, they'll get tired - right?


As we contuine to climb I begin to feel better and better. I look around me and see who's in my group - Eoin, Aarron, Niall, a Sli Cullen lad and another rathfarm guy. Three rathfarm, only two CNOC. It'll make an interesting finish. If things stay the same when we change direction.

As we climb the zig zags, Aarron jumps to the front and I run up beside him. I want to try keep everyone in check. The pace slowly increases as we climb. I'm consious of not wanting to run too had too early so I ease off and sit at the back of the group, in behind Niall and Eoin. As we reach the grass ramp, my legs know they are in for a great degree of pain. The guys keep a steady pace but I drop it back a bit - its a long way to the top. As we climb, I can hear a runner behind me. No idea who it is. I just tell myself to keep turning the legs over and focus on Eoin just in front. I take a quick glance behind me and see none other than Seamus!


I was estatic! It was game on for CNOC's first team win in a long long time. He spurs me on as he cruises by using his leg strength to full advantage as he slowly reels in the runners. As we climb up and up my body begins to react. I'm sweating buckets and my leg turn over is reduced. Coming apon the first of the roller coaster section I attack the small descents not wanting the gap to grow. We pass the marshelled junior turn around point. I wonder how Brian is doing before I turn my attention to the matter at hand - getting up this bloody mountain!

As we reach the flat boggy section, I have a view of the lead group all spread out. Its a lovely sight. Barry is well in front, Niall is battling away and Seamus is slowly gaining on everyone, millimeter by millimeter. I put the head down and start to plug away. No point enjoying the view. As I climb the grassy track I notice that the gap between Eoin and myself is stuck. Its going nowhere. I try to up the anti. I have no idea if it worked or not but the runners up ahead are hurting. They're coming back to me.

I reach the first of the last rolling hills. Barry blasts past. He's on fire. I contuine to dig, I know the top is close. I come over the bump and I can see the cairn sillouetted by the sun. It looks epic.

Seamus comes flying by, then Kevin, then more bodies. I force my legs to turn over as the cairn gets closer and closer. Jason (i think, bit blurry) screams encouragement at me as I stumble around the rocky surface. My mind has gone a little bit dissy. Joe offers water but I decline, part fear if I bend down I'll fall, part wanting to get on the attack as quickly as possible. Its game on.

I start the descent hard even with the lactic flushing through my legs. I know I'll recover, be it 10m or 100m. I'll be back to full flow quickly. The track is clear for me, I bump into another runner as I increase my pace. My mind is working over drive as I pick my route through the steeper upper slopes. Out onto the bog track and its a matter of putting the boot down and going back to orienteering route... track? who the hell needs a track!

At this stage there are too many ascending runners to pick out who I'm chasing. It calls for one simple tactic, every place counts. As I plunnet down the mountain, the ascending runners (mostly orienteers) are shouting at me. I distinctly remember hearing Niamh scream "catch Niall". I think its a great idea. But before I reach Niall, that yellow bouncing singlet 200m in front I have two rival club runners to dispose of. I ran past one in a blue top, he didn't appear to put up a challenge. I was beyond obsessed. All I wanted was Niall. I hurtled down the track. I was gaining on the 2nd club runner, the gap was cut to nothing. To over take him I bailed onto the smaller trail. What I didn't see was the pack of climbing runners.... I hurtle towards the lead runner - who freezes. On see'ing her hesisatation I lunge over the heather and rocks back onto the larger track, gain valuable meters on the 2nd rathfarmium runner. Niall.... He's not travelling as fast as I am. This fuels my maddening obsession of burning it past him. We reach the last rise as we bare down apon the Junior turn around point. Niall boucing through, I contuine hot on his heels. I see a white top.... fellow CNOC running Regina looks to be in a word of pain. She ye'll encouragement as I run past. I hope Niall didn't hear it. I'm on top of Niall and I accelerate past him, putting on a burst to get a physological advantage. As I leap over the loose rock I felt my foot catch my calf. Fear flushes through my body. I keep my balance and slow down the pace for a split second. The fear encompassing my body. I shake it off as qucikly as it arrived as I set my eyes on the next runner down the line. Eoin Keith. Niall is forgotten about as my legs turn over as fast as my brain is firing commands to every nerve in my body. I can see the gap physically closing between Eoin and myself.


I push and push and push. The gap is no longer closing, it appears to stuck. As we come into the switch backs, Eoin is turning the corner in front of me. The thought plays through my head - a da ja vu of Maulin where Peter had the advantage going onto the fire road. I push the pace. I know I can catch him. He has a 24hour run in his legs. He has to be hurting. We descend the switch back. He maintains the gap.

The flat fire road. I'm pushing as hard as I can. The gap stays the same. I refuse to give up. The gap closes slightly. I know I'm running out of time, I see Collieen on the track, she gives a bit of encouragement. I'm flat out. The gap is closing. I'm running out of time. Around the final bend. My legs are screaming. My brain is screaming. My legs yell stop, my brain yells faster. Conflicts of interest. The gap closes smaller. Eoins pace decreases, he crosses the line. I contuine to accelerate across the final few meters towards the line. 5th. Beasted by Barry and dumped by Seamus who paced his race to perfection. When I cross the line I don't stop running. I jump at Seamus. I was estatic that he had pulled off a top 3 but more importantly put CNOC into a string position where we could take the team win

I was buzzing after the descent and catching the rathfarm runners. Now the wait was on. Niall had to cross the line.... A rathfarm runner comes in... its gona be tight. Niall comes around the last bend. Yellow singlet clearly visible as he beasts it towards the line. Finishing up in 7th....thats CNOC with 15 points. We need a runner to come across the line, anyone! before a rathfarm runner... Sli Cullen follows Niall 46 seconds later. Win for CNOC. Bo yeah!

Not only did CNOC take a podium in the mens along with the Team win - Niamh as usual ensured that CNOC we battling for the win in the womens is well. Can't have the guys getting all the glory!

As I was descending at break neck speed it was Niamh O'Boyle who was beasting it up the mountain well in the lead of the womans race. When she hit the summit she was well in front of the next woman and 21st over all. It was monsterous climbing by the pocket rocket who's conistant climbing demolalised those around her who thought they could break her mentally by accelerating in bursts - sounds to me like they were bursts made out of fear. She descending conservately/racing the M50 winner Martain Francis to finish in 18th (gaining another 3 places). Scary girl.


And that doesn't wrap up CNOC's success on Brockage Mountain. In the Junior race, Brian followed the tactic of get a gap on the flat at the start, then attack the climb... once he reached the turn around point, he attacked again and floored it down the mountain. For a first mountain run, he certainly attacked the course. It'll be interesting to see how IMRA's favourite junior Alex copes against Brian sheer strength and climbing ability matched with his blistering pace on the flat. It'll be game on in the junior races from now on.


Not a bad day at the office for CNOC. Bring on the next summer series!!

1 comment: