Monday, May 10, 2010

Senior Squad Weekend - How not to Orienteer

After a double lab on friday, orienteering non stop for the weekend was always going to be fun.

Race 1

First stop was Slievenagore for a middle distance race. It started well and then began to fall apart. Heading for no 5, i only saw the track below and not the track above which resulted in this....

After that hidious error I continued along, my orienteering was very sloppy. After getting into a half flow I was headed for 11 and this happened....


At which point Ger saw me leave the contro,caught and passed me as I had another scenic route to 15. Shocking orienteering. Dropped 8mins.

Race 2

StringO.... An epic battle of punching speed, control flow and speed endurance. First up was Declan, he knocked out 1:15, followed by myself in 1:15, followed by Ger in 1:15.... I couldn't let this stand so I went out again, and clocked 1:15! Ger decided this could be gotten lower so he flacks around and does it in 1:13. With this challenge set, I went out and managed 1:12. Twas alot of fun.

Race 3 - 14

Micro maddness! After a cup of coffee and a walk up the mountain in search of a set of keys, we headed to Kilbrony Park for the Senior Squad Fundraiser.
It was a series of controls everywhere and an insane maze. 4 runners would mass start into the mixture of barriers and tape. Fastest runners were all CNOC based (as usual).
The second micro sprint was a series of controls, everywhere. It was basically a flat out sprint trying to keep your head. I managed to orienteer at this point and actually won 3 of the 4 (WOC team member Seamus O'Boyle was the only one to take my scalp, by a mere second).

The squad then packed up a truck full of acquired fences from a highway maintenance company, we won't point fingers


No comments:

Post a Comment